Saturday, January 28, 2012

Paul Lynde Stew

I made my favorite stew recipe today. The hubby has been bugging me for a potful so we enjoyed a big bowl of Paul Lynde Stew over a heapin' helpin' of homemade mashed potatoes. So simple yet so delicious. I have been making this since 1975. Paul was on the Merv Griffin show and made the stew. You had to mail in a request for the recipe and I've been making it ever since.

3# beef stew meat cut into bite size pieces
1 can carrots
1 jar small onions or 4 onions cut in 1/4ths
1  15 oz can stewed tomatoes, broken up
1 can peas
1 can green beans
1/2 can beef consomme
4 Tbsp Tapioca (Minute brand)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 c bread crumbs
1 bay leaf
1/2 c white wine
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1/2 Tbsp pepper
Drain all veggies except tomatoes. Layer ingredients in order given. Cover and bake @ 250 degrees for 6-7 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. I have been making this for almost 50 years ..... a family favorite!! If I remember correctly, he was the guest on The Mike Douglas show for a week and made this stew. I have made it ever since and shared the recipe numerous times. Making a double batch this week for our church small group!! ❤️❤️ I serve it over buttery Jasmine rice with a salade and hard roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this again at my sons request. I've only ever served it with mashed taters but this time I'll try it with my favorite jasmine rice!!

    ReplyDelete